Friday, October 21, 2016

CHICAGO UNSIGNED HYPE INTERVIEW W/ MARV J

Chicago EST.1837 recently caught up with young rising hiphop artist "Marv J".
1. Can you introduce yourself to the people?
Yaaooo, I go by the name Marv J. Im a solo artist from the south side of Chicago. I also run under the alias Jerm as an active member of the Hip Hop group J.O.B.
2. When did you decide to make a career of music, and what inspired that?
About 7 years ago, when I was on house arrest for 6 months I spent majority of my time on a laptop mixing and recording music using a desktop microphone and a program similar to protools. Through this process of playing the role of engineer and artist I was able to fully submerge myself into not just the creative process of making music but the dynamics of sound quality, what differences there were in what I heard on the radio or a cd and what I was producing. Through that process I inherited a deeper involvement into transitioning what I had in my head to what people would hear after I got it out and as a result I made a mixtape of about 20 tracks entitled Starvation, a play on "starving Marvin" Marvin being my government name. That's when I knew I could and wanted to do music full time whether lucratively beneficial or purely passion driven. Fast forward 5 or 6 years I joined the group, wrote on a album collectively, did a couple shows and eventually became resourceful enough to grind and build towards the goal of a larger following with the ability to create better music and actually campaign the agenda.
3. Whats been the most memorable moment of your grind thus far?
My most memorable moment still to date would be the first show the group and I put together at Double Door for our album release. First and foremost being able to for the first time collaborate with 3 other individuals on a project was crazy dope in itself, writing sessions, idea bouncing, recording, mixing, then to campaign it as far as having a photo shoot, producing a show, seeing 4 different fan bases come together on one night under one roof. I don't know, there's a feeling when you look out and see people wall to wall, front to back all rocking with you. All there just to see us, s**** crazy for lack of better words. But yea, all the showcases, all the people in the industry I have met, the jewels from OGs, none quite as impact-fully lasting as that night. Shout out to J.O.B.
4. How do you deal with writers-block?
It never really last long with me. My problem is usually having too much to say. The times that I do go through it, it's 9 out 10 times self induced meaning I'm just uninspired and just don't write intentionally I guess in fear of forcing something out that's not quality to my standards. I have picked up a few tricks over the years though, nothing too surprising I either get my mind right with the smoke signals, listen to some music or watch some movies, hit the streets and let life speak or at the very least say F it and come back to it later when my mind resets to its naturally creative state.
5. Dead Or alive if you could feature with one artist, who & why?
Em. (Eminem) Hands down. When it come to rap, I don't care about your story how many bricks you flipping, how many times you been shot, F all that gimme bars, rhymes. Em broke through the wall of what was rhyming. It's like he broke the code, this cat don't just rhyme words that are normal or similar in sound. Nah, he'll rhyme a syllable from the middle of one word with the end of the next word with the word from 2 lines ago. No doubt his concepts and topics are not the norm, but you got to remember he come from that era of raps being dozens (dirty dozens) it wasn't about catchy sing along ish. It's about sending your opponent home either crying rethinking his position in rap or just disrespected. It was who sicker, how outlandish can my bars get, how crazy can I describe taking apart your character. Ain't no oh you went too far, too far is the standard. That era, that's the era he from. Em is the greatest rapper. Big is the greatest MC. Just my opinion though.
6. What are you currently promoting or working on?
Right now the campaign is LUCY. A project I recently released in September. This is my, ok now we talking catalog. Now we building the impression of my character as to who I am as an artist. Prior to this I dropped 2 mixtapes FLPM and Everything Ain't For Everybody, both well received joints but more compilation than conceptual. This is my pilot tv show. The test run to see if my direction is on course, only unlike a pilot, which if doesn't get a good response is scrapped, whereas I'm a just hit that drawing board make adjustments and keep it moving to the next ya digg. LUCY is about 40 mins of your time. 10 tracks of some dope joints that I hope collectively leaves listeners at the very least wanting more because that's what I'm giving them. LUCY by MARV J out now on all streaming platforms.
7. Where do you see yourself the next 3-5 years?
Everywhere. I mean that's the goal, exposure. Festivals, college tours, internet radio, I need to be everywhere. I'm open labels deals, but I'm shooting for more of a distribution or publishing check only because my run has been solo thus far and I want my hands on everything. Labels getting a little pyramid ish and it's sometimes hard to facilitate a particular individual when there are so many others focus has to be spread amongst. I want something more personable and artist oriented. So yea, more projects, more money, more Marv J, only thing I see in the future.
Follow His Progress..
Instagram: @spreadjermz
Twitter: @spreadjermz
SoundCloud: @spreadjermz
ReverbNation.com/spreadjermz

No comments:

Post a Comment