Friday, March 25, 2016

CHICAGO UNSIGNED HYPE INTERVIEW W/ "XTRA MIDWEST"

Chicago Est.137 Recently Caught Up With Producer & Artist "Xtra Midwest"
1. Can you introduce yourself to the people?
Peace I'm Convertible Tee
(Xtra MidWest) I'm an Emcee, Beatmaker, Record Producer from the South East Side of Chicago.
2. When did you decide to make a career of music, and what inspired that?
I've always been into hip-hop and music in general has always been an element in my family life. Being around producers and freestyling in ciphers over the years kind of opened the door to writing songs, making these beats and chopping up samples. I've always had people who helped me out and showed me the door. I'm inspired by all of the great music and experiences that have affected my life. I don't know that I would consider what I do as a career. I look at it as a journey or more like a collage made out of the patterns and shapes in my life. I try to get my story across.
3. Whats been the most memorable moment of your grind thus far?
I would have to say my first time going down to SXSW. I had just really started to focus on making these projects. I loved the climate in the culture. Everything was sounding fresh and it felt like we were coming into a new golden era of fresh shit. Things had gotten stale but around that time it started to feel like my era. It was a welcoming environment for me everything was kind of going into this rebirth. So I got some cash together and hit the lab then John Dafi and Leno XTR showed me around and opened up a side of the music industry that I had not been a part of up to that point. That weekend for SXSW I was able to talk to and just pick up game from different artist that was a great experience for me just starting out again this was like 2013 on my 1st project The Wandering Albatross.
4. How do you deal with writers-block?
I just work my way thru it I'll write stuff down and make beats until something just sparks. I haven't really dealt with it much in the last few years because what I'm doing now is more organic. These songs write themselves it's a energy to it that flows naturally. I just try to tap into the source. I put up a lot of shots everything doesn't make the grade and I won't force it.
5. Dead Or alive if you could feature with one artist, who & why?
There are a ton of artist here that make my kind of shit who I would love to work with. With out going into individual names I'm not a well known artist so I don't want to come off the wrong way or try to just throw names into the conversation. I think working with Big L would have been nasty. Cam, AG or Ab-Soul somebody who has an ill style and a way with words because the style of beats I like to use allow you to use an open conversational style. Just someone who is deceptively dope no one too straight forward or one dimensional. I like the funky stuff.
6. What are you currently promoting or working on?
I'm finishing up a 6 song E.P called "The Beautiful Ones" I made the beats and went in with Laz from Quarter Juice Productions over at the music garage here in Chicago and he did all the post production and added his signature to the project. The first single is produced by Lolo my guy Alvin Love it's called "Box Bake (Vodka & Gatorade)" it's streaming online now you can Google it. The second single is out now on the CHICAGO UNSIGNED HYPE "SXSW EDITION" mixtape it's called "N the Park (80's baby) that one is produced by Laz from top to bottom. It's the first one we recorded for this project. I'm still figuring out what the next song will be and a way to get these videos into production.
7. Where do you see yourself the next 3-5 years?
Still making this funky shit. I'm an integrity artist so I want to stay true to my voice and expand on my sound. I'd like to lock in with the guys I normally work with like Paul Jillz. I would also like to produce for a younger hip hop oriented artist with a vision. Working behind the scenes possibly with a major is a goal as well I have a corporate background so I know my way around the office. I plan on writing creatively as well.
Follow His Progress...
https://soundcloud.com/wandering-albatross
https://www.facebook.com/XtraMid/

No comments:

Post a Comment