Saturday, May 3, 2014

CHICAGO UNSIGNED HYPE INTERVIEW W/ LANDON BATTLES

Chicago EST.1837 recently caught up with young rising Hiphop artist "Landon Battles"
1. Who is your favorite artist of all time & why?
My favorite artist? It would have to be between Nas, Bob Marley, Bone Thugs, 2pac and Lil Wayne. Out of those dudes I would have to say Nas. I love how Nas can tell stories. He spit about being a prison cell, a roach in the projects and he dropped Ether! I like how he progressed from the street cat, to the gawdy, oochie wally dude to the more conscious, gem dropping rapper he is now. Nas is just dope.
2. What inspired you to become a serious artist?
The first time I stepped in the booth inspired me to be a serious artist. I used to just write rhymes with no plans of recording them. I would just write to beats I thought was cool. So when I finally recorded, I did like 8 songs in 1 hour. All one takes, didn't hear the finished product until about 3 weeks later. It sucked so bad though! The lyrics was cool but my delivery and my flow was terrible. Just hearing that wackness made me challenge myself. Hearing my own weak songs inspired me to become serious. Crazy right?
3. Your style is unique. What is your creative writing process like?
A lot of times I just freestyle my songs. I freestyle it, listen to it a few days later and if I don't like it, I'll just freestyle some more. But for those times where I can't think of nothing to spit about, I just write my rhymes. It's easier for me to be more creative and loose when I freestyle. When I write, it's more structured and less creative.
4. Whats been he most memorable moment thus far in your career?
The most memorable moment thus far is hearing people that I don't know playing my music in their car. Sometimes I be at gas stations or stop lights and hearing people playing my joints! It don't even feel real. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that.
5.Who in the industry would you like to collaborate with & why?
I want to collab with The Dream, T-Pain, DJ Toomp and Drake. I like the feel of Dream's beats and his music. My vocals over some oh his music would be amazing. T-Pain just seems like a cool dude to work with. Probably a lot of jokes and just going with the flow of whatever beat is playing. Seems easy to make a hit with him. DJ Toomp is the most underrated producer in the game to me. I wanted to work with him when I heard TI's "What You Know About That" song. Then I heard Wale's "No Dayz Off" and it was over. He's on my bucket list. With Drake, I know I can learn a lot from him. Like how to develop more melodic sounding music and how to create better hooks. Drake seems like one of those cats to just vibe with and spit dope raps with.
6. How do you feel about the emergence of the Chicago music scene and where do u see yourself fitting in?
I'm glad that Chicago is finally getting some attention. I don't want people to think that all the music we make is Drill Music though. I see myself fitting in as the "balancing act". I don't make drill music or conscious music. It's just honest, lyrical stories. My music is hard but with a message. My brand is smooth to where you can chill out, look out the window and think, but hard enough to where you can exercise and hustle to. I see myself fitting in as that lyrical, story telling, real, " I wanna kick it with him" down-to-earth rapper. Trill with some intellect.
Follow Landon's Progress...
www.facebook.com/landonbattles15
www.twitter.com/landonbattles
www.landonbattles.com

No comments:

Post a Comment